music background

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy New Year Tic Tac Toe



A month late, but I will post it anyway...

I found this idea on another blog, forgive me as I don't recall which one it was.  Not my idea but I made it my own.  I had this tic tac toe board already and I just put a header on it. It is removeable and so we can play tic tac toe on any old day.  But this one was for New Years.  New Years fell on a Sunday this year.  Crazy!  But I had to do something relating to RESOLUTIONS or GOALS.

So I divided the room into two groups....GROUP "X' and GROUP "O"
They picked a marker and place it on the board when it was their turn, of course trying to get THREE in a row.

On the back of the markers were resolutions having to do with songs

RESOLUTION:
BE KIND TO YOUR PRIMARY TEACHER
have the chosen child ask their teacher their favorite primary song

RESOLUTION:
"LEARN TO DO HIS WILL, TO LIVE WITH HIM SOMEDAY"
What's the song?  I AM A CHILD OF GOD - sing it

RESOLUTION:
"I'M CHANIGN HOW I LIVE, I AM CHANGING WHAT I'LL BE!"
What's the song?  Scripture Power - sing it

RESOLUTION:
"TO SHINE FOR HIM EACH DAY"
What's the song?  Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam - sing it

RESOLUTION:
TO STAND "TALL, TALL, TALL"
What's the song?  Once There Was A Snowman - sing it

RESOLUTION:
To make at least one snowman
What's the song?  My version of Popcorn Popping (snowflakes up to my knee) - sing it

RESOLUTION:
TO LISTEN TO THOMAS S. MONSON, in other words....
What's the song?  Follow The Prophet - sing it

RESOLUTION:
BE HAPPY
What's the song?  If You're Happy and you know it - sing it

RESOLUTION:
To LOVE SINGING IN PRIMRAY
What's the song?  Singing a song is fun to do, to do do do - sing it

RESOLUTION:
I TRY TO SHOW I LOVE THE LOVE IN ALL I SAY AND DO
What's the song?  One In A Million - sing it


This particular day, we sang so many songs.  It was so fun. I really get bored just hammering the song of the month every Sunday.  Usually it is a song we will retire once the program is over and we hardly ever sing that song again.  It is so tragic, but true.  I want the children to be familiar with ALL the songs in the book and this is a way to really get them familiar with all the GOOD stuff in this primary book rather than just singing AS A CHILD OF GOD 100 times.  BORING!  I think that song has a great message but so do all of them.  So I really try to sneak in songs we wouldn't sing otherwise.  I think one day, kids will remember the songs from primary, and it won't be the NEW song they learned for a program.  It will be the old standards like I AM A CHILD OF GOD AND POPCORN POPPING AND I HOPE THEY CALL ME ON A MISSION.  So I think it is really important to do some of these songs even if you have an agenda to teach the new song all month long.

My two cents!  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment