music background

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Simply Singing - Some fun props (don't leave home without them!)





Simple Props!!!



I make reference to my "Mary Poppins" bag alot.  If you are familiar with the Mary character, you know she carried around an extraordinary carpet bag...one that had things in it to decorate an entire nursery, like a lamp and a hat rack.  I feel every chorister needs a little magical bag like Mary. I do not have a hat rack in my fake carpet bag, but I do have some props that I don't ever leave home without.  Sometimes it feels like I am carting luggage for a 2 week stay overseas rather than just going to church for 3 hours.  However, you gotta do what you gotta do and sometimes it is just nice to have FILLERS on hand in case things in primary need a little UMPH or redirection.  I keep these simple props in my bag for this reason.

I just free handed the drawings.  I often will just look at coloring book art and copy the simple cartoon drawings.  Again, sorry no templates.  But making your own version of this would be easy with all the resources out there on line.  What I love about the blogs I have seen is that I see a great idea and just make it fit my primary group and my abilities, ect.  So I will probably rarely post templates, rather I just post my ideas to serve as a spring board for your own imagination!

The first is just the "SHHHHHHHHHH" boy and girl. I use this if they are really noisy.  I will hold the signs up until they notice and they usually will mellow out.

The other signs are BOYS SING and GIRLS SING.  These are great to use when teaching a song.  If you want to have a competition or you can rotate them in a song and have the kids watch so they know when they are suppose to sing and when they are suppose to not. 

I also use the simple STOP AND GO.  One side is STOP and one side it GO.  Again when teaching a song that you sing over and over (man I must have A.D.D. because I really get bored after singing a song 3-4 times).  It's fun to just spice it up with the STOP and GO or the GIRLS SING/BOYS SING or whatever. 

Happy Singing....!


No comments:

Post a Comment