music background

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Heavenly Father Loves Me Song

So February starts this week.  I have decided to teach the juniors the song, MY HEAVENLY FATHER LOVES ME WITH THE ACTIONS.  But what to do with the seniors?  Sometimes they fight me on songs with actions because they are trying to maintain their COOL reputation.  So... I decided to print out the pictures to go with this song and play a game with them in hopes to teach them the lyrics which is what the actions will do for the little kids.

I found my visuals here:

www.jollyjenn.com

The Words are attached to this flip chart, so I cut those off and just backed the pictures with construction paper.  My primary kiddos kinda know the first verse but to my knowledge none of them even know there is a second verse.  So we will be learning both verses this Sunday.  I think it's an easy song to pick up.

With my pictures, I will stick them to the walls on either side of the chalk board, so they are front and center but NOT on the chalk board.  And then I will have the pianist play the songs in bits.  For example we will start out the song with the first stanza - Whenever I hear the song of a bird- no vocals- the pianist will stop and someone will have to hunt for the picture to matches that stanza.  Then the helper will put it on the chalk board and we will sing just that part with the words.  Then we will go on to the next stanza- Whenever I feel the rain on my face- no vocals- the pianist will stop and someone will have to hunt for the picture that has the RAIN on it.  The trick is that there are no hints.  They can help each other but I want them to sing the song in their head so they can come up with the lyrics by themselves.  I have used this song as an opening and closing song for the past two month so they have had a taste of how it goes.

After we have assembled all the pictures in order on the chalk board, we will sing it from start to finish.


This activity can be used to teach any song with good visuals.  It makes a FUN review as well.  You could use this at the end of the month when you have taught the song.  I will be busy doing VALENTINE things all month long that I have previously posted under the VALENTINES label so I am going to use this on Sunday with the big kids to introduce the song of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment