music background

Monday, February 11, 2013

A Few Of Their Favorite Things

So here's an update on the snow ball fight I had a few weeks ago with the senior primary in my ward.  I had the kids write their favorite songs on the papers before crumpling them up to throw them at me. I made a CTR shield to protect myself as they I got pelted.  The kids were in shock that I brought that which I found seriously amusing.  I told them I promised them a snowball fight...I said nothing about being unprotected while they did it.  I figure I can use this shield again.

I tallied the songs. It's interesting to hear what kids love.  I want to sing what they love.  Singing time is dedicated to learning program songs and seasonal things and articles of faith...but there is time to squeeze in favorites, too. Turns out the kids have favorites.  So my plan is...all year long, I will have this jar out. I chose this plastic mug (see picture) as it seemed really durable and it just needs to sit in my bag of tricks week after week so I didn't want something glass or bulky.  Each Sunday, we are going to choose a 'favorites' song and sing it.  And when we are done with the songs, I will put all the slips of paper back in the jar and we will start over...so all year long, the kids will get a taste of the best of the best.

So this was kinda ironic.  Out of 62 pieces of paper, there was a WINNER as far as most votes.  Can you guess what it was?  I AM A CHILD OF GOD.  I am tickled to think the song the kids want to hear most is the theme of primary this year.  And close runner ups were Child's Prayer and When I Am Baptized...both program songs.  Score!  There were alot of good songs submitted however.  I had a several requests for a song that isn't even in the book...Children Around The World. I have never sung this with my kids and I plan to teach it to them if they want it.  Popcorn Popping was in there and Scripture Power.  The kids asked me if they could include Christmas songs (I said YES) and I got several requests for Silent Night and Angels We Have Heard On High.  I think this is funny and I am not against singing Christmas songs, even if it's July. I think they will be amazed each week at the random things that come out of this jar. I hope it will be a fun weekly ritual.

It's possible to do this without the snowball fight.  You could just give the kids 1/4 sheets of paper and have them write down their favorite songs, collect them, tally them and create your own Jar of favorite things.  I just printed the songs on the computer.  I did include the 10 ten favorites, and so on the slip if it is a 10 ten fav, meaning it had multiple votes, it will say so so the kids will know if a song was particular beloved by the group or not!

If the kids can graduate from primary holding dear their favorite songs, I will feel my I did my job well.  That's the whole point of being chorister!








No comments:

Post a Comment