music background

Monday, October 29, 2012

2013 Theme, I Am A Child Of God

So I have been mulling over next year's theme for a month now.  Nothing has to be decided today but I kinda want to have a game plan.  My ward's program went really well this year and I'd like to keep that momentum going.  I did some special things with quite a few of the songs for this year's program, making the performances unique.  One thing that I did was I found a really cool arrangement for CHOOSE THE RIGHT that involved the congregation.  It had really neat accompaniment and a "tag" on the end so the kids sang this little part at the end to finish the song off by themselves.  It was nice addition to the program.

Not sure if any of you follow Jenny Phillips but each year, she puts out a CD of the primary songs with arrangements of the songs that are a tad different than what you find in our standard hymn book and primary song book.  This year she is collaborating with another musician.  This gal is going to have free down loads of all the music for next year...COOL arrangements of every song.  I think it will be worth looking at when she posts it.  Here is the link:  www.kamiebolen.com

Also, not sure if any of you are familiar with the Beebe Sound.  He is an LDS composer who specializes in hymn/song arrangements for choir/group singing that include the congregation in the 3rd or last verse.  His work is so pretty.  He is the one who wrote the arrangement of CHOOSE THE RIGHT that I used this year.

Turns out he has a really neat version of I AM A CHILD OF GOD.  It is for SATB but I think the kids could just sing the soprano part and then the congregation could join in for the 3rd verse.  It has accompaniment for both piano and organ and there is an optional flute obbligato.  Could be pretty.  Here is his link:  http://www.hymns.com/thebeebesound.aspx

Just some things to think about...
Thanks, Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Brittany, I was looking for a pretty arrangement of the songs for this year and these sites are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete