music background

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Country's Flag




I love the 4th of July...probably my favorite holiday.  I am weird for sure!  But there is something about flags and the patriotic songs (BBQ's, fireworks, picnics, little kids with sun tanned faces) that just makes me smile.

I couldn't pass up a chance to do something patriotic with the primary children. I made each child a flag on a skewer stick.  Yes, it was insanely tedious.  If I was made of money, I would have bought them a flag but when you have 50+ kids, that adds up.  So I made them.  I plan to hand them out to each child, so they can wave them as we sing our songs.

The hats: This is similar to St. Patrick's day. I found some goofy hats, made a wreath out of a festive wire garland and found a necklace (thanks $1-Tree).  I will have the kids pick a hat, wreath or necklace and they can pick which adult in the primary will wear it.  They think this is so hilarious, to make the leaders look SILLY!    Each accessory has a song.  I am doing something a tad unorthodox but that is my mode.

I am doing patriotic songs:
THIS IS MY COUNTRY (primary song book)
Grand Old Flag
This Land Is Your Land
God Bless America
America The Beautiful

I am incorporating some other songs not found the song book as the selection is slim and their knowledge of those songs is even slimmer.  I am lucky to have a pianist who just goes with my crazy flow and does what I ask...!

Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment