music background

Friday, February 17, 2012

St Patrick's Day Fun







I am always thinking of the next thing, BE PREPARED (I stole that motto).  So of course Valentines Day has come and gone.  So now what?  St. Patrick's day!!!! I have spent alot of time blog stalking and found some ideas that I have morphed into my own.  I found some very cute supplies at the Target $1-Spot and $1-Tree.  I got this pack of 12 foam shamrocks...half were glittery and half were plain.  On the glittery ones, I have put the word RIDDLE.  On the back is a silly Irish Riddle.  On the other shamrocks is the word SONG and on the back are primary songs.  I have attached magnets to them. I love that the chalk boards are magnetic.  It is so much easier to post things up and have children pick this way, tape is always a nightmare I feel.  So this is the game.

I will split the primary in half, using the asile up the center to divide it evenly.  Two teams.  Each team gets a chance to come pick a shamrock.  They can pick a glittery one or a plain one.  If they pick a plain one, their team has to sing the song by themselves and if they perform it WELL, they will earn 3 points.  If they choose a glittery shamrock, they have to answer the silly Irish riddle on the back.  They can have help from their team (including leaders).  If they get it right, they get 5 points.  The team with the most wins. 

Riddles:

What is out on the lawn all summer long?  Paddy 'O Furniture
What do you call a fake stone in Ireland?  A Shamrock
Why do frogs like St. Patrick's day?  Because they are GREEN!
Where would you find a Leprechaun baseball team?  The Little League
What kind of bow cannot be tied?  A rainbow
Why do people wear shamrocks?  Because real rocks are too heavy

There are alot of Irish jokes/riddles out there, but I felt these were easy and tame for church.  The kids only have to answer along the lines to get it right and I figure with teacher's help, they might get most of them.  Hopefully it will be fun!

The songs I have chosen
I LIKE TO LOOK FOR RAINBOWS
GIVE SAID
FOLLOW THE PROPHET
JESUS WANTS ME FOR A SUNBEAM
FUN TO DO
HAPPY & YOU KNOW IT  (if you love wearing green, clap your hands!)

Again, I do games in addition to singing the song of the month. I like to mix in oldies that the kids don't get to sing because there is an agenda to learn the NEW song of the month.  I tried to find songs that went along with Green and St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment